Re: How to detect overcurrent event from userland

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, Juergen Beisert wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> On Dienstag, 23. Februar 2010, Alan Stern wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, Juergen Beisert wrote:
> > > is there a way to get an userland application informed about an
> > > overcurrent event on a USB connector?
> >
> > Not specifically.  An application can monitor the system log, looking
> > for overcurrent notifications.
>
> By string matching? I was in the hope such kind of notification is a standard
> use case for error handling... :'(

The kernel detects so many different kinds of errors, there couldn't
possibly be any standard sort of use case for all of them (other than
writing an error message to the system log).

Furthermore, nobody has expressed any interest in monitoring USB
overcurrent events before now.  They don't happen very often.

Alan Stern