RE: Controlling a USB port

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010, Leslie Rhorer wrote:

> 	Maybe I should try a different tack on this...  The desire to
> control the power on USB ports doesn't seem to me to be all that esoteric a
> request.

Maybe not, but it also isn't very common.  As you have seen.

Perhaps part of the reason is that so much of the existing hardware
isn't capable of doing it.

>  That all the code I have come across is 3 to 5 years old seems a
> bit puzzling, at least given that I seem to be having some trouble getting
> it to work and the facts there are hundreds of queries on the web concerning
> just the problems I seem to be having, but precious few evident solutions.
> Is there a more contemporary approach to this that would avoid the problems
> I have encountered?

Not really, but it wouldn't be too hard to write a simple program
(simpler than hub-ctrl) to do what you want.  But there are deeper
implications.

In particular, the hub driver does not expect user programs to go
around messing with the power state of ports under its control.
Probably the best approach would be to unbind the hub driver from the
hub before doing anything -- which would mean that _all_ the devices
attached to that hub would appear to be disconnected and then
reconnected afterward.  This would limit the usefulness of such a
program.

Alan Stern