Re: RFC: allow usb drivers to disallow USBDEVFS_DISCONNECT

Am Mittwoch, 13. Januar 2010 17:32:17 schrieb Alan Stern:
> On Wed, 13 Jan 2010, Hans de Goede wrote:
>
> > > If we do this unconditionally blocking disconnect is a bad idea. We'd
> > > better introduce a new ioctl, like USBDEVFS_RELEASE_IDLE_INTERFACE,
> > > to lave user space the option to kick a driver off a busy device.
> > >

> > Introducing a new ioctl which can be blocked by the drivers would be fine
> > with me. I'm in contact with the libgphoto2 devs (I mostly to the kernel
> > webcam driver side myself), and I'm sure I can sell that to them :)
>
> How would such an ioctl work?  The usbfs code has no way of knowing
> whether an interface is currently idle.

Indeed, it would need support from some drivers in form of a flag
or a callback. For the majority of drivers, we can hook into usb_open().

By the way, this doesn't mean I am sure it should be done, just that
if it is done, that would be the better way.

	Regards
		Oliver