Re: RFC: allow usb drivers to disallow USBDEVFS_DISCONNECT

Hi,

On 01/13/2010 05:32 PM, Alan Stern wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010, Hans de Goede wrote:

If we do this unconditionally blocking disconnect is a bad idea. We'd
better introduce a new ioctl, like USBDEVFS_RELEASE_IDLE_INTERFACE,
to lave user space the option to kick a driver off a busy device.

Introducing a new ioctl which can be blocked by the drivers would be fine
with me. I'm in contact with the libgphoto2 devs (I mostly to the kernel
webcam driver side myself), and I'm sure I can sell that to them :)

How would such an ioctl work?  The usbfs code has no way of knowing
whether an interface is currently idle.

Well we would have to add a flag somewhere the driver can set (and clear
again) to indicate this.

Regards,

Hans