Re: ez usb fx2 reset

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, John Ervin wrote:

> > Normally firmware is sent while probe() runs and the device's CPU is
> > reset right away.  The driver gets unbound and rebound, and the second
> > time through the probe() routine recognizes that the firmware has
> > already been installed.
> >

> Good advice, I've done this in probe now, but still the behaviour is not what I
> expect. Shouldn't the driver disconnect and then re-probe when the chip
> renumerates? I don't have trouble keeping track of that two pass approach in
> probe.
>
> I'm expecting the unbinding to happen automatically when I reset the CPU on the
> USB chip. Is this an incorrect assumption? Should I manually bind/unbind?

You should make probe() return -ENODEV if the firmware had to be sent
to the device.  That will prevent it from binding in the first place,
so no unbind will be needed.

> I'm not even trying to download the firmware. Just trying to verify
> renumeration with the fx2 loader firmware.

Maybe that's the problem.  Maybe renumeration doesn't work right if you
don't send any firmware.  Or maybe you have to tell the device to
remove its D+ pullup when resetting the CPU.

Alan Stern