Re: enumeration issues with minipci-express usb device after power-cycle

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010, Jelle de Jong wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> [now with the actual attachment]
>
> I bought a Sierra GlobeTrotter MC8775 UMTS modem minipci-express with
> usb interface. I want to use it on my PC engines ALIX.6E2 motherboard
> (has the latest bios)
>
> If I boot the system (it has Debian stable running) and plug in the
> minipci-express device the modem is detected perfectly and is working.
> When I do the shutdown -r now command the modem still works after the
> reboot.
>
> Howerver! When I halt the system (shutdown -h now) and pull out the
> powercable from the motherboard, and plug in back in to boot the
> system. The minipci-express usb device is unable to enumerate!
> Rebooting or unloading modules does not help. Other usb device seem to
> stay working.
>
> I plugged the minipci-express usb device in an intel mini-itx system
> to test it and there the device works fine after powerdown and
> replugging the cables.
>
> I tried 2.6.26+17+lenny1, 2.6.30+21 and 2.6.32+23 kernels all do the same.
>
> Does somebody know what is going on? Any help would be really
> appreciated?

Here's a test you can do.  After unplugging the motherboard's power
cable and rebooting, unload the ohci-hcd module.  Then start up a
usbmon trace using the 0u file (see the instructions in the kernel
source file Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt) and reload ohci-hcd.  Let's
see what the trace shows.

By the way, does it make any difference if the minipci-express device
is unplugged while you reboot and then plugged in afterward?

Since the device works okay on one computer but not on another, there's
probably some issue with the USB components on the ALIX.6E2
motherboard.

Alan Stern