Re: usb-serial seems to "buffer" data after upgrading to 2.6.32

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 02:36:58PM +0100, Ruud Linders wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After upgrading to 2.6.32 I experienced strange behavior with a
> usb-serial device. I have an application running to capture 433Mhz RF
> transmissions using RF-receiver (from rfxcom.com) which has an built-in
> serial-2-usb ftdi chip, connected to an older Dell laptop. After
> programming the RF receive mode on startup of application, the device
> will be sending messages (few bytes) whenever it receives some valid RF
> data, nothing is transmitted anymore from the PC side.
>
> This has been running fine without problems for over a year,
> occasionally upgrading to latest kernel, that's until I upgraded from
> 2.6.31 to 2.6.32.
>
> I'm seeing that serial data seems to get buffered somehow, nothing is
> received on the laptop for tens of minutes, even stranger is that moving
> the (usb-)mouse seems to trigger something and all the "buffered" serial
> data is suddenly received in a burst.

That sounds like an interrupt issue, if you run 'usbmon' can you see the
data coming in large chunks like this?

> Problem gets worse when there are other activities going on and less
> notable when the laptop is more or less idle.

Wierd, again, it sounds like an interrupt thing, not a usb-specific
thing.  Care to file an acpi bug in bugzilla.kernel.org to work with
them to get it resolved?

thanks,

greg k-h