Re: slow performance on copying to usb drive?

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 10:25:23PM +0330, Roozbeh Gholizadeh wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 21:04:03 +0330, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> time, at

> >> cause
> >> you
> >> >

> >> I guess it is turned off.At least i turned it off with every solution
> >> posted in internet, such as creating mount policy, unmounting and
> >> remounting with mount async option, also used 3 different versions of
> >> kernel and all seems to suffer from this.
> >>
> >> Besides, enabling sync option and having slow performance, couldnt this
> >> also considered as a bug?
> >
> > Not really, your device could just be slow.  Are you sure it isn't a
> > device issue?
> >
> > Try doing this on a USB disk drive, with rotating media behind it, that
> > would take the USB connection out of the loop.
> >

> Yes. I am pretty sure it isnt my device issue or usb port issue.
> 2 reasons :
> 1.it works nice with windows and even in dos!

What are the speeds you are getting overall with both Windows and DOS?

> 2.at first the speed is really high, around 10mb/s but gradually speed
> decreases. and also when you stop the transfer, device keeps working for
> about 10-15 sec.

That is normal, it is the io flushing out to the device afterward.  In
the beginning, the vfs caches a lot of it (hence really quick response)
and then it starts to flush stuff out to the disk itself.

> but normally if you stop the trasfer, my usb device led
> turns off.
> I also checked this issue with 3 other usb flashdisk from 3 different
> brands.

So the same thing happens on all of them?  Again, that's normal here.
Unless you can say that this is a regression from a previous kernel
version, I'd say this is just the way things work on Linux.

thanks,

greg k-h