Re: Attaching MEGAWIN USB Bridge with USB generic driver

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009, Marian wrote:

> Thank you, Alan!
>
> You were right: My investigations of the usb snoop log bring up that there are
> only control messages used. Even though you do not know the vendor´s USB
> protocol (nor me), I hope to get some answers how the host can access the
>
> Here is a draft interpretation of a sample section which represents the first
> of many communication sequences:
>
> URB7:
> - host sends an APL specific request packet (91 01 00 01 93) to the clock
> (that´s for sure)
> - device seems to respond with a setup packet?

No, you're getting confused by the snooping software.  For some strange
reason it prints the setup packet contents in the "coming back" part of
the report instead of the "going down" part.

Since URB 7 is a control-OUT transfer, the device doesn't send any data
back.

> URB 8:
> - host then starts an asynchronous read (am I right?)

It's a control-IN (as opposed to an interrupt-IN).  Yes, control
transfers are asynchronous.

> - device answers with the first APL-specific response packet (fore sure)
> URB 9:
> - host polls length of incoming data (am I right?)

I don't know.  The host is asking for _something_, but it might not be
the incoming data length.

> - device responses with 00 0b, wich seems to be the recent uplink packet length
> URB 10:
> - host sends an APL specific ACK packet (a1 01 00 01 a3)
> - device seems to respond with a setup packet?

Same as before.

Alan Stern