Re: BisonCam 5986:0203 kills USB

Am Donnerstag, 26. November 2009 03:51:42 schrieb Alan Stern:
> On Thu, 26 Nov 2009, Stephan Diestelhorst wrote:
>
> > Gotcha. Tried again with 500 us delay and the repeated modprobe/rmmod.
> > Crashed the thing quite quickly, see attachment for the relevant
> > excerpt (including call stack) from dmesg.
>
> Yes, that's the same as before: enable_periodic().  In other words, the
> preceding call to disable_periodic() didn't have the desired effect,
> thanks to the hardware bug.

Alright. It seems that we have nailed it now.

> > Now back to bumping up the value. rant { The compilation speed on this
> > machine does not help, though. Partly thanks to the disk encryption
> > eating some of the few Atom-FLOPS. Maybe compiling on an unencrypted
> > USB key does the trick. Erm, no. For that the USB system should work
> > :-/ }
>
> Compilation speed should not be a big issue.  After all, you're only
> rebuilding a single file.  Does it really take more than (say) 30
> seconds?

It does. It is more on the order of (felt) 5 - 10 mins, thanks to make
running through the whole source tree, a fairly large config. Linking
and the other necessary compile steps (call syms etc.) take quite some
time.

Anyways, we all know about the possible remedies and this was OT
anyways.

Cheers,
  Stephan