Re: Kernel Oops on Unexpected Disconnect of /dev/ttyUSBx Device

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 03:29:43PM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Nov 2009, Greg KH wrote:
>
> > > Here's something rather confusing.  The URL:
> > >
> > > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.27.y.git;a=commit;h=2d93148ab6988cad872e65d694c95e8944e1b62
> > >
> > > brings up a page containing the commit you mentioned above.  But that
> > > commit was never added to the 2.6.27.y tree!  It's part of Linus's main
> > > tree.  The actual commit applied as part of 2.6.27.23 was
> > > 070bb0f3b6df167554f0ecdeb17a5bcdb1cd7b83.  So what's going on here?
> >
> > Probably due to the fact that the stable tree is cloned with the "base"
> > being Linus's main tree.  So when you ask for a commit, and it can't
> > find it in the local tree, it will go to the "base" to try to find it,
> > and it does.
>
> Is this an issue with git, or with gitweb (or whatever program provides
> the web interface), or just with the way the repositories are set up at
> git.kernel.org?

I don't know, I'm guessing it is the way the repos are set up on
git.kernel.org combined with gitweb.

> > It is a bit weird though, perhaps we should report this to the git
> > developers.
>
> Should I report it on the git mailing list?  Or would some person or
> other mailing list be more suitable?

The git mailing list is proably the best.

here's how I created the repo on kernel.org in the beginning:
	git clone -s --bare ../torvalds/linux-2.6.git linux-2.6.27.y
at the time that Linus's tree was at v2.6.27

thanks,

greg k-h