Re: BisonCam 5986:0203 kills USB

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009, Stephan Diestelhorst wrote:

> The patch seemed to work initially, however, after booting several
> times and enabling / disabling the cam (through hotkey) and additional
> rmmod uvcvideo, I managed to trigger the bug again, see the dmesg
> with successful and errorneous attempts attached.

You should add a dump_stack() line to handshake_on_error_set_halt(),
just after the ehci_err() call.  Then we'd be able to see the failure
pathway and determine whether it really was caused by the delay being
too short.

> It might well be the case that the delay is too small. I will change
> to a higher value (this and the device ID should eventually be
> converted into symbolic constants). Does anybody have a clue how to
> properly determine the neccessary delay, either with a stress test or
> by someone (Intel) telling us the hardware delay?

There hasn't been any feedback from Intel.  If you can find the right
person to ask, go ahead.  Otherwise a stress test is the only option.

Alan Stern