Re: additional debug output for autosuspend in cdc-ether

Am Dienstag, 24. November 2009 20:37:45 schrieb Alan Stern:
> On Tue, 24 Nov 2009, Oliver Neukum wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 24. November 2009 16:44:53 schrieb Alan Stern:

> > > How is calling a reset_resume method any worse than going through an
> > > unbind/rebind cycle?  Either way, the device's data will be lost.
> >
> > If the device is disconnected everything is clear. A hotplug event
> > will be issued and data loss can be expected.
>
> Yes, that's true.
>
> There is a snag, unfortunately.  The new runtime PM framework doesn't
> offer any convenient way to provide a reason for a runtime resume --
> nothing like the pm_message_t argument.  Unless we do something
> inelegant like storing the reason in the usb_device structure, there
> will be no way to distinguish a user-generated resume (writing "on" to
> /sys/.../power/level) from an autoresume from a remote wakeup.  Hence
> there will be no way to tell whether or not to attempt a reset-resume.

I don't think we need the reason. The mere fact that a resumption leads
to a reset while remote wakeup is requested should be enough. Unless
we are resuming from a system sleep, but that's a global event.

Such a device cannot be used with runtime power management and
this driver unless it is marked quirky, whereby autosuspend with
remote wakeup requested would be prevented.

	Regards
		Oliver