Re: looking for an advice on debugging USB 2.0

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009, Vladimir Komendantsky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >> [ 1666.291787] usb usb2: usb resume
> >> [ 1666.291799] ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: resume root hub
> >> [ 1666.412345] ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: port 2 full speed --> companion
> >
> > This line indicates that your device is not completing the high-speed
> > handshake and thus is failing to connect at high speed.  There is a
> > hardware problem either in the device or in the EHCI controller or in
> > the connecting cable.
>
> The fact is that the device does work at high speed in Windows with
> the same cable and controller. Therefore neither of these seems to be
> faulty. I still believe it's a software problem and I'm looking for a
> reasonably recent documentation on USB 2.0 linux device driver
> writing.

As far as I know, there is _no_ documentation specific to USB 2.0 for
Linux device driver writing.  The best you're likely to find is the
Linux Device Drivers book, 3rd edition.  Besides, this isn't a generic
sort of device driver problem -- it's very closely tied to EHCI.

> I've tried some FAQ's but couldn't find information for this
> particular situation.

I don't recall seeing any either.  You should concentrate on studying
the source code since it is your best source of information (along with
the USB 2.0 and EHCI specifications).  The high-speed -> full-speed
handoff is managed by drivers/usb/host/ehci-hub.c, in the
check_reset_complete() routine and its caller.  Maybe you'll find a
logical error in there.  You could start by printing out the value of
port_status upon entry; it might contain a clue.

Alan Stern