Re: Cypress CDC ACM serial port not working correctly with autosuspend

On 6/7/23 08:10, Oliver Neukum wrote:

* udev rule: ATTRS{idProduct}=="55d4", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1a86", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", TEST=="power/control" ATTR{power/control}="on"
* usbcore.quirks=1a86:55d4:b
[..]

During the pandemic supply chain constraints led to some switching to the CH9102F which is described here as *almost* a drop-in replacement. Unfortunately the pinout differences might have mattered. I am uncertain if the board design could have been better but that is now in the past. Too many were mass produced so I am hoping for a USB quirk to stabilize this going forward.

I have confirmed USB_QUIRK_RESET_RESUME allows this device to function for the same reason it works for the Cypress. I am uncertain if a narrower new quirk "ignore the remote wakeup bit" would work here. How can I test that?

Please test the attached patch by giving the new 'p' quirk
as usbcore.quirks

    Regards
        Oliver

Thanks! Tested your patch against 6.4.0-rc5. Both usbcore.quirks=1a86:55d4:b and usbcore.quirks=1a86:55d4:p allow the device to be fully functional. It even works through suspend+resume of the host. Without the quirk the only other way for this device to function at all is to turn off autosuspend.

How should we proceed? "p" would be the narrower quirk.  Would this be appropriate for drivers/usb/core/quirks.c?

Warren Togami