Re:BisonCam 5986:0203 kills USB

Alan Stern wrote:

> > > Once again no apologize needed. You should keep cross-posting and
> > > report the problem to the linux-usb mailing list. I'm not familiar
> > > enough with the EHCI architecture to work on a fix, so the solution
> > > will likely come from linux-usb developers.
> >
> > Any help?
>
> There's a temporary solution (in one of the threads mentioned above)
> described here (the udelay(2000) call):
> You should experiment and see if the 2000 can be replaced with a
> smaller number.

Several volunteers and me have experimented with the udelay values.
See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/435352/comments/167

udelay(2000) - works (> 2 people)
udelay(1000) - works (knuutsen, catscrash)
udelay(600) - works (catcrash)
udelay(500) - works (deChrLam with method see # 148, stephan d.)
udelay(400)- works (knuutsen, stephan d.)
udelay(375) - breaks (stephan d.)
udelay(350) - breaks (stephan d.)
udelay(300) - breaks (catscrash)
udelay(250) - breaks (stephan d.)
udelay(100) - breaks (catscrash, stephan d.)
udelay(50) - breaks (stephan d., jbob)
udelay(48) - breaks (knuutsen)

It seems that a delay of 400 usec fixes the thing, and that we're
nowhere near the requested 50 usecs.

Seems like someone either adds the udelay(400) or introduces a proper
fix  (with timers). I am too inexperienced in USB things to fully
understand the negative implications of the former or do the latter.

Many thanks,
  Stephan