Re: Regression in audio playback with USB DAC caused by "USB: EHCI: use the new clear_tt_buffer interface"

Alan Stern wrote:
> [...] and 11.17.5 where the text says
>
> 	When a bulk/control split transaction fails, it can leave the
> 	associated TT transaction buffer in a busy (ready/x) state.
> 	This buffer state will not allow the buffer to be reused for
> 	other bulk/control split transactions. Therefore, as part of
> 	endpoint halt processing for full-/low-speed endpoints
> 	connected via a TT, the host software must use the
> 	Clear_TT_Buffer request to the TT to ensure that the buffer is
> 	not in the busy state.
>
> Admittedly, I don't see how a STALL handshake could be consistent with
> a busy transaction buffer, so maybe the spec is wrong in this respect.

It says that the purpose of the Clear_TT_Buffer is to clear the busy
state; it seems to imply that the host driver can avoid sending that
request if it can ensure in some other way that the buffer is not in
the busy state.

> Besides, Clear-TT-Buffer is supposed to be harmless if the buffer isn't
> busy.  It certainly shouldn't affect periodic transfers.

I tried to reproduce this on my machine (2.6.32-rc6 +) by generating
control requests that my audio device doesn't like, but it sounds as
if my hub (some Genesys chip, 05e3:0605) doesn't break iso streaming.

Regards,
Clemens