Re: Setting LLUCTL force gen1 bit if max speed is SS for Gen2 controller

Hi,

On Wed, May 10, 2023, Krishna Kurapati PSSNV wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
>  If we set maximum speed to "super-speed" for a SSP capable controller, I
> see device mode working in SS but host mode still works in SSP. From the
> yaml documentation of max-speed, I see the following:
>
>  maximum-speed:
>      Tells USB controllers we want to work up to a certain speed. Incase
> this isn't passed via DT, USB controllers should default to their maximum HW
> capability.
>
> Shouldn't this maximum speed get limited to gen1 even for host mode ?

The description is ambiguous here. However, we only ever use this
property to limit the speed for device mode (from what I see in the
other drivers of the kernel). Should we ever need to limit this for host
mode, IMHO, we should introduce a new property for that and clarify this
property.

> If so, can we set LLUCTL Force_Gen1 bit if (Controller is Gen2  && max_speed
> = SuperSpeed) somewhere after GCTL core soft reset is done in set_mode ?

BTW, that's for dwc_usb31. For dwc_usb32, we use a different register to
limit different eSS speeds and lanecount.

To limit to highspeed for xhci, we can disable usb3 ports (clear the
PORTSC.PP). I don't think we can force limit to full or low speed for
dwc3 host mode.

BR,
Thinh