Re: Lacie Mobile Disk 250 GB USB 2.0 not recognized by my computer

Please use Reply To All, so that your messages are sent to the mailing
list as well as to me.

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009, Michel wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> thanks you for your help!
>
> hum...excuse my english but i'm french, i didn't understand precisely
> the term "run off power". (insufficent energy i presume ?)

I was asking if the disk drive gets all its power from the USB
connection.

> The Hard Disk has two usb cables,  one for power supply (optional),
> another for USB transmission.
> When i connect the two (connecting first the usb cable power supply, and
> after the usb data transmission cable.)
> The problem is not resolved. lsusb or /proc/bus/usb/devices don't show
> nothing more.
> i test all my usb ports, the device is not reactive.

It sounds like the ports don't supply enough power for the drive to
run.  Or else the drive is broken, but you said that it still works on
other computers.

> Is it possible that there's a BIOS limitation of usb power supply (that
> can be changed?)

No.

> i'm going to verify if i find something on the subject.
>
> if you see another thing, i remains attentive,

Have you tried using usbmon to trace what happens when you plug in the
drive?  See Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt.

Alan Stern