Re: NEC USB controller strangeness

> In fact, none of the errors messages (and only two of the debug
> messages) in your posting were related to OHCI.

Ah, oops, those messages were in core/message.c, not host/ohci-pci.c.
I got confused while grepping source code.  Mea culpa.

>> A different unit of the same make and model?  Already done; the problem
>> is repeatable in a second machine built from the same parts list.

> What about something other than a Mac Pro?

I'll have to to a bit of work to put together an development Linux box
with a PCIe slot to use to test the card in; I'll report when that's done.

>> Or do you mean a different model?  I'm working on that now, but the
>> problem is that the computer is a Mac Pro, which has only PCIe slots,
>> and every PCIe-to-USB card I can find is built with the same NEC USB
>> controller chip (and a PCIe bridge chip).  So I'm not quite certain
>> what to go shopping for.
>>
>> On the USB side, I went with SanDisk because I found that other
>> manufactureres had quite creative interpretations of the USB standard.
>> Like having a non-null USB serial number that was identical on every
>> device.
>
> Does the thumb drive work in other computers?  When it works in the
> motherboard ports on the Mac Pro, is it running at high speed?

Yes, 23.8 MB/s (190 Mbit/s) reported by hdparm -tT, is definitely
high speed range.

And yes, it works in another computer, at high speed.
Just tested in an Athlon XP, nForce2 machine:
00:02.0 USB Controller [0c03]: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller [10de:0067] (rev a3)

I've also got the same symptoms on the same Mac Pro/USB adapter combo
with a totally different thumb drive.

The drive is recognized and read initially, but a few seconds later,
it becomes unresponsive, as do other devices (I'm tewting with keyboard
and mouse) plugged into the same controller.

Thanks a lot for your help; I know this is frustrating.