Re: NEC USB controller strangeness

> Your log extract strongly suggests it is a hardware problem.  Either
> the NEC EHCI controller isn't working or else the thumb drive doesn't
> work at high speed.  Or else the two devices are somehow mutually
> incompatible.

Because other devices plugged into the NEC controller (e.g. the keyboard)
also disappear when this happens, I am suspicious of the controller,
but following the code is difficult.  The clearest error message comes
out of the OHCI code; what do you see in there that implicates the
EHCI code path?

> You can't fix hardware problems in software.  Try using a different USB
> storage device or a different PCIe USB card.

A different unit of the same make and model?  Already done; the problem
is repeatable in a second machine built from the same parts list.

Or do you mean a different model?  I'm working on that now, but the
problem is that the computer is a Mac Pro, which has only PCIe slots,
and every PCIe-to-USB card I can find is built with the same NEC USB
controller chip (and a PCIe bridge chip).  So I'm not quite certain
what to go shopping for.

On the USB side, I went with SanDisk because I found that other
manufactureres had quite creative interpretations of the USB standard.
Like having a non-null USB serial number that was identical on every
device.

But thanks for the response!