Re: USB regression: devices not initially recognized

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Paul E. McKenney
<paulmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 10:24:22AM -0400, eschvoca@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 1:00 AM, Paul E. McKenney <
>> paulmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > In many cases, yes.  But I don't know of a specific synchronize_rcu()
>> > that is guaranteed to be executed before the first userspace execution
>> > on all kernel configurations for all architectures.
>> >
>> > I recommend putting a printk() in synchronize_rcu() to check up on this
>> > on the system in question.  (Or a WARN_ON_ONCE() if log space is limited.)
>>
>> If you are recommending I put in a prink() then I will need a patch.  Also
>> tell me what information you want me to collect.  I'm just an avid Linux
>> fan/user that would really like my keyboard/USB devices to work on boot-up.
>
> Fair enough.  Could you please send me your .config?  The output of
> "grep RCU .config" will suffice.  I also need to know what version of
> the kernel you are using -- looks like 2.6.28, but please let me know.

I'm using a vanilla kernel repository to compile at commit
b79e83bdd961ec9b862191c0df51aaeb3cb85664 (according to the Makefile it
is 2.6.29-rc7).

$> grep RCU .config
# RCU Subsystem
CONFIG_TREE_RCU=y
# CONFIG_TREE_PREEMPT_RCU is not set
# CONFIG_RCU_TRACE is not set
CONFIG_RCU_FANOUT=32
# CONFIG_RCU_FANOUT_EXACT is not set
# CONFIG_TREE_RCU_TRACE is not set
# CONFIG_RCU_TORTURE_TEST is not set
# CONFIG_RCU_CPU_STALL_DETECTOR is not set

Thanks.