Re: Possible problem with thunderbolt 4

On Mon, Jan 02, 2023 at 09:56:18AM +0100, Christian Schaubschläger wrote:
> Hi, (and happy new year!)
>
> >> If I just remove the module without un- and re-plugging the cable, the
> >> connection is not there in the firmware after the reboot.
> > Right because the driver leaves all the tunnels up so the boot firmware
> > then finds the PCIe tunnels established.
>
> So maybe it's a firmware issue? If the kernel leaves the tunnels in
> place, but the firmware doesn't see them?

It probably sees them and that's the issue.

> > One more experiment if you will.
> >
> > Same steps 1-3 as above but then do this:
> >
> > 4. Disconnect the PCIe tunnel directly:
> >
> >   # echo 0 > /sys/bus/thunderbolt/devices/DEVICE/authorized
> >
> > (where DEVICE is typically 0-1 or 0-3 in Intel platforms)
> >
> > 5. Check in lspci that it is not visible anymore
> > 6. Soft boot the system.
> >
> > In other words this leaves the USB4 link and other tunnels up but not
> > PCIe.
> After echoing 0 to the 'authorized' file, the devices disappear in
> linux from the PCI bus, but unfortunately don't show up in the
> firmware after the reboot...

Okay it may be that the USB 3 tunnel that is still up makes the CM in
BIOS to think the hardware is in unexected state or so.

This was Thunderbolt 4 dock, right? Do you happen to have Thunderbolt 3
device or Thunderbolt 3 active cable around? If yes then there is only
the PCIe tunnel so doing the above de-authorization should in theory
work. If no then one option is to add the ->shutdown() hook to tear down
the tunnels.