motor of LM9832 control from driver

Good Morning,

I'm fully new at those things so I don't have a clue if here is the best
place to post such a question.

I've an old Canon scanner LiDE something that wasn't working anymore so
I took it apart. My idea currently is to be able to control the stepper
motor of the scanner using a special USB driver.

Among the things I've read so far, I've been able to create a driver. I
know that I've to call a usb_control_msg() function and to pass on
parameters to the device. (RequestType, Request, Value, Index), I also
managed to find out the datasheet of the LM9832 chipset that sleeps in
my scanner.

On the specs of that chipset, I've information available in that sense:

Register Listing:
Address	Function DDDDDDDD Value
(example)
07, Command register, 000, Idle (stops motor)

What I don't know is how to convert my "register" 07 into a RequestType,
Request and Value/Index.

Currently, I've been trying several combinations but I always get a -32
return value.

Can someone point me in the right direction, please ?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Nick

--
Nicolas Wälti
Software Engineer

Linux 2.6.28-15-generic #52-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 9 10:48:52 UTC 2009
11:26:04 up 7 days, 15:51, 4 users, load average: 0.04, 0.10, 0.13

You will inherit millions of dollars.