Re: USB conversion to the runtime PM framework

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 02:34:36PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Oliver Neukum wrote:
>
> > Am Dienstag, 20. Oktober 2009 18:10:39 schrieb Alan Stern:
> > > Here's a third matter (not directly related to the new framework but
> > > connected with runtime PM): Should we add rudimentary autosuspend
> > > support back into usb-storage?  By default it will remain disabled, of
> > > course.  But there are many cases where it could be very helpful to
> > > users -- think of low-power systems with USB flash drives.  Such users
> > > could enable it manually.
> >
> > I would add it, but it's Matthew's driver.
>
> Quite so.  Matt, what do you think?  The downside is that people or
> packages might try to enable autosuspend in cases where they shouldn't,
> such as drives needing to spin down or needing a SYNCHRONIZE CACHE
> command before suspend.  Unforunately there's no way the kernel can
> tell the good cases from the bad.

I would say that having autosuspend support with a sane default of DISABLED
is reasonable.  I presume this could be changed at runtime via sysfs?
Sounds like another job for a udev-maintained database...

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

C:  They kicked your ass, didn't they?