Re: USB conversion to the runtime PM framework

Am Dienstag, 20. Oktober 2009 18:10:39 schrieb Alan Stern:
> Oliver:
>
> There are a couple of significant differences between the existing USB
> runtime PM code and the new framework.
[..]
> directly).  In particular, their total usage change from binding to
> unbinding must be exactly zero.  I'm not sure the existing code in the
> drivers does this.

I am sure it does not. Under the current rules a driver must not touch
the counter after it has been disconnected and there's no reason to
touch it as a device is disconnected, because usbcore is about to
take charge of it.

> The second has to do with the power/level attribute.  Currently the
> framework doesn't define any runtime PM attributes, but it may well add
> its own level attribute eventually.  When it does, there won't be
> anything corresponding to level = off.  Should we start phasing this
> feature out now?  (This is one reason for adding the "safely remove
> hardware" API; at the moment suspending a port is the closest
> userspace can come to disabling it.)

Kill it.

> Here's a third matter (not directly related to the new framework but
> connected with runtime PM): Should we add rudimentary autosuspend
> support back into usb-storage?  By default it will remain disabled, of
> course.  But there are many cases where it could be very helpful to
> users -- think of low-power systems with USB flash drives.  Such users
> could enable it manually.

I would add it, but it's Matthew's driver.

	Regards
		Oliver