Re: Auto-eject for devices with built-in cdrom-mode for Windows driver

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 11:34:07AM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Oct 2009, Oliver Neukum wrote:
>
> > Am Samstag, 17. Oktober 2009 15:14:28 schrieb Frank Schaefer:
> > > I can think of multiple solutions for this, my first questions are:
> > > Is there already a common solution for these devices in the kernel ?
> > > How widespread is this bad habit of device-design ? So far, the only
> > > devices I know are
> >
> > This is usually handled by the modeswitch tool outside the kernel.
>
> Alternatively, you may be able to force the device to switch modes by
> running the "eject" program on it.
>
> There is mode-switching code in the kernel for a few devices.  The
> current trend is to move this out of the kernel and let user programs
> be responsible for it.

If you go with the current trend, then you probably will want to write some
UDEV rules to recognize these devices and issue the mode-changing command
(either modeswitch or eject).

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

C:  Like the Furby?
DP: He gives me the creeps.  Think the SPCA will take him?
					-- Cobb and Dust Puppy
User Friendly, 1/2/1999