Re: Auto-eject for devices with built-in cdrom-mode for Windows driver

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> Am Samstag, 17. Oktober 2009 15:14:28 schrieb Frank Schaefer:
> > I can think of multiple solutions for this, my first questions are:
> > Is there already a common solution for these devices in the kernel ?
> > How widespread is this bad habit of device-design ? So far, the only
> > devices I know are
>
> This is usually handled by the modeswitch tool outside the kernel.

Alternatively, you may be able to force the device to switch modes by
running the "eject" program on it.

There is mode-switching code in the kernel for a few devices.  The
current trend is to move this out of the kernel and let user programs
be responsible for it.

Lots of other devices have this sort of dual-mode behavior, mostly
modems of one sort or another.  You can find lots of examples in the
linux-usb and usb-storage email archives.

Alan Stern