Re: USB disk disconnect problems

On Mon, 3 Oct 2022 at 19:17, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 03, 2022 at 07:04:05PM +0100, James Dutton wrote:
> > I have done some more tests.
> > With the device plugged in, I manually send a command to reset
> > the USB device.
> > Using instructions listed here:
> > https://askubuntu.com/questions/645/how-do-you-reset-a-usb-device-from-the-command-line
> >
> > The reset fails.
> > It never recovers.
> > So, I think there is some problem relating to USB 3.x reset, and maybe
> > just my specific device which is an NVME storage in a USB dock.
> > I think the problem is more to do with the Linux kernel's USB 3.x
> > reset procedure, rather than any other cause.
> > Is there any quirk or test I can add, that would remove power from the
> > USB port and return it, as part of the reset procedure?
> > Or, is there any extra debug logging I can enable to help diagnose
> > where the reset function is failing?
>
> You can try collecting a usbmon trace of the reset (instructions on the
> web or in Documentation/usb/usbmon.rst in the kernel source).  That will
> provide some clues as to whether the problem lies in the reset itself or
> in the activities that follow the reset.
>
> Have you tried running a similar test using, say, a plain old USB thumb
> drive in place of the NVME storage device?

I have tried the reset command on USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 flash sticks,
and they reset OK.
So, it seems to be a problem with this specific NVME USB device.
This NVME USB device says it is USB 3.2 when I do lsusb. I don't have
a USB 3.2 flash stick
lsusb output:
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0bda:9210 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL9210
M.2 NVME Adapter
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               3.20
  bDeviceClass            0
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         9
  idVendor           0x0bda Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
  idProduct          0x9210 RTL9210 M.2 NVME Adapter
  bcdDevice           20.01

I will try to capture a usbmon and compare the flash sticks reset vs
the NVME USB device.