Re: USB disk disconnect problems

On Sun, 21 Aug 2022 at 12:17, James Dutton <james.dutton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Say I have mounted a usb disk.
> I then disconnect the usb device
> Linux complains about failed writes etc.
> I then plug the usb device back in
> Linux still complains about failed writes, and does not recover.
>
> How do I get Linux to recognise the reinserted usb disk and carry on as normal?
>
> I know my suggested behaviour might be detrimental for some users, in
> case one modifies the usb disk in another computer and then comes
> back, but I would like an option that assumes it has not been plugged
> into anything else.
>
> The reason being, I have a system that boots from a USB disk.
> Due to interference, the USB device disconnects for a second or two
> and then comes back, but Linux does not see it and I have to reboot
> Linux to recover. So, in this situation I wish Linux to be able to
> recover immediately, without needing a reboot.
>
> The physical USB device removal then reinserting reproduces the
> problem I am seeing, so I thought it would be a good example to get
> working, if we could.
>
> Can anyone give me any pointers as to where to start with fixing this?
>
> Kind Regards
>
> James

I have done some more tests.
With the device plugged in, and me manually send a command to reset
the USB device.
Using instructions listed here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/645/how-do-you-reset-a-usb-device-from-the-command-line

The reset fails.
It never recovers.
So, I think there is some problem relating to USB 3.x reset, and maybe
just my specific device which is an NVME storage in a USB dock.
I think the problem is more to do with the Linux kernel's USB 3.x
reset procedure, rather than any other cause.
Is there any quirk or test I can add, that would remove power from the
USB port and return it, as part of the reset procedure?
Or, is there any extra debug logging I can enable to help diagnose
where the reset function is failing?