Re: USB disk disconnect problems

On Sun, Aug 21, 2022 at 2:00 PM James Dutton <james.dutton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Aug 2022 at 21:03, Matthew Dharm
> <mdharm-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > In the “old days” (that is, my original design for use-storage) it
> > used to do exactly what you are looking for - based on VID, DID, and
> > SerialNumber it would “remember” devices. The SCSI host would never be
> > destroyed, and when a device re-appeared it would be re-connected to
> > the existing host.
> >
> > That caused all sorts of problems. The SCSI and block layers just
> > couldn’t handle it well. A clean umount / mount cycle worked fine, but
> > if you unexpectedly disconnected the device all hell broke loose and
> > there was no way to recover.
>
> Are there any situations where we should actually try to recover?
> What about:
> The OS has not needed to read/write to the disk in a while. The USB
> disk idles out and goes into a power save mode by itself.
> The OS then wishes to write something, but would need to go through
> some sort of wake up procedure first.
>
> I don't know if that is a state that is available for USB devices, but
> if it was, would it be fair to try and recover?

That scenario already happens all the time; rotating disks often
spin-down after an idle period and then automatically spin-up at the
next media-access command.  So long as they spin-up within the command
timeout (typically 30 seconds), there is no issue.  BUT, this is very
different from what you originally asked about -- in a low-power
spin-down state, the USB interface is still connected; only the
rotating has stopped.  From the computer's perspective, the device has
always remained attached; the only anomaly is that a command takes
longer-than-usual to complete.

The next level of deeper power savings would be a system-wide suspend
/ resume, which we've already discussed and is a path which is already
handled (and also different from the original scenario you described).

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm
Former Maintainer, USB Mass Storage driver for Linux