Re: USB disk disconnect problems

On Sun, 21 Aug 2022 at 21:03, Matthew Dharm
<mdharm-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> (Re-sending, as the first one got blocked by the list for having an HTML part).
>
> On Sun, Aug 21, 2022 at 7:47 AM Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Aug 21, 2022 at 12:17:30PM +0100, James Dutton wrote:
> > > I know my suggested behaviour might be detrimental for some users, in
> > > case one modifies the usb disk in another computer and then comes
> > > back, but I would like an option that assumes it has not been plugged
> > > into anything else.
>
> In the “old days” (that is, my original design for use-storage) it
> used to do exactly what you are looking for - based on VID, DID, and
> SerialNumber it would “remember” devices. The SCSI host would never be
> destroyed, and when a device re-appeared it would be re-connected to
> the existing host.
>
> That caused all sorts of problems. The SCSI and block layers just
> couldn’t handle it well. A clean umount / mount cycle worked fine, but
> if you unexpectedly disconnected the device all hell broke loose and
> there was no way to recover.
>
> I did it this way because, way back when, there were issues
> dynamically destroying SCSI hosts. The people who worked on those
> other layers found it much, much easier to fix that problem than try
> to make it possible to recover from an unexpected disconnect.
>
> Honestly, I’m not even sure where you would need to begin to make this
> work. It would require pretty radical changes is the block I/O layers
> to differentiate different failure modes, keep a lot more data around
> after certain types of failures, allow for specifying which devices
> this new policy (which is assuming reconnected devices really haven’t
> been altered) applies to, etc — it’s a big lift.

Are there any situations where we should actually try to recover?
What about:
The OS has not needed to read/write to the disk in a while. The USB
disk idles out and goes into a power save mode by itself.
The OS then wishes to write something, but would need to go through
some sort of wake up procedure first.

I don't know if that is a state that is available for USB devices, but
if it was, would it be fair to try and recover?