Re: unable to get the debug messages from usb core files

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 10:06 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear Alan,

Thanks for the information.

> You also have to enable CONFIG_USB_DEBUG.

This is already enabled in the .config fle as we already enabled it in
the make menuconfig process. We have seen CONFIG_USB_DEBUG=y in the
.config file.

> You probably have to run mkinitrd or something similar, depending on
> your distribution.

I guess, this is already there in the /boot directory as we build the
entire kernel. Eventhoguh, when I run the mkinitrd
/boot/initrd-2.6.30.img 2.6.30, it says already exists.

The distribution that I am using is FEDORA CORE 8 and kernel version
is 2.6.30. The default kernel version for Fedora Core 8 is
2.6.23.1-42.fc8. I have build the 2.6.30 kernel using the kernel build
rules. The rules for building the new kernel image are make mrproper,
make clean, make menuconfig (just save and exit), make prepare, make
menuconfig (do the modifications here), make clean, make bzImage, make
modules, make modules_install and make install. Then reboot the
system.

I have observed one thing here is, in the make menuconfig
Device Drivers--->
  [*] USB Support --->
       {M} Support for Host-side USB

I did not understand the meaning for this braces { }. One more
observation is, when I do the make menuconfig for the same kernel
(2.6.30) on a FEDORA CORE 5 I got the following.

Device Drivers--->
  [*] USB Support --->
       <M> Support for Host-side USB

However, I did not able to build the kernel image on Fedora Core 5 due
to GCC version mismatch.

Please let me know the procedure for getting the debug messages from
the USB core files on Fedora Core 8 with 2.6.30 kernel version.

Thanks and Regards,
Madhavi M.