Re: Help with usb gadget api to make linux pc emulate keyboard and mouse

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009, Ken McD wrote:

> Greg KH wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 12:57:10AM -0400, Ken McD wrote:
> >
> >> I am wondering if its possible to make a linux PC control another PC
> >> through a usb keyboard and mouse.
> >> So kind of kvm without the video part.
> >>
> >> Seems most likely this is possible with the usb gadget api and a usb device
> >> controller, but I cannot find any prior work on the keyboard and mouse
> >> driver portion. There are some references to gadget api hid drivers, but I
> >> can't find anything definite in the mailing archive or google'd.
> >>
> >> Can someone point me in the right direction for a solution?
> >>

> > Read the USB spec first for why this isn't possible without a hardware
> > "blob" between the devices.
> >
> > Good luck :)
> >
> > greg k-h
> >
> Greg, I think there might be a misunderstanding. I am NOT trying to
> connect 2 USB host controllers together. Yes, as you mention, this is
> not possible because of the USB specification and because 2 host USB
> controllers cannot communicate together, unless one is On-the-Go. I
> think what you are referring to is the host-to-host usb dongles that
> allow point-to-point tcp/ip networks. That's not what I'm looking for.
>
> What I am asking about is making a software keyboard and mouse inside
> Linux that communicates through the Gadget API to a USB peripheral
> device controller and then on to the destination PC. It is possible just
> as a stand-alone usb keyboard or mouse works to control a PC. For
> reference, the Gadget API is described here:
> http://www.linux-usb.org/gadget/
>
> Is brief, a linux PC can be a USB peripheral device and a usb keyboard
> or mouse is a type of USB peripheral device.
> So I understand the PC peripheral controllers exist and there is Linux
> Gadget API to simulate USB peripheral device. What I'm looking for are
> resources for the USB gadget device driver to simulate the keyboard and
> mouse. I am thinking the programming for this is relatively easy because
> hardware-only implementations of USB keyboards and mice are very cheap.

I don't recall ever seeing any code posted to do this.  Possibly
because it would be pretty drastic overkill; a real USB keyboard and
mouse are a lot cheaper than a Linux computer with a USB device
controller.

Still, it should be possible to implement such a gadget without too
much difficulty.

Alan Stern