Re: [RFC v1] USB: core: add USBDEVFS_REVOKE ioctl

On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 05:17:28PM +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> evdev, HID and USB revoke are 3 separate implementations that are
> necessary for common device accesses to be revocable.
>
> The HID patch shows how device access is implemented in systemd, with
> the seat leader (usually the compositor) being able to request fds from
> logind if the user doesn't already have access.
>
> logind would then be responsible for closing the USB devices the user
> doesn't have access to anymore when logging out, or switching user. It
> could either close fds it passed out, or use BPF to revoke opened HID
> and USB devices without needing to act as an intermediary.
>
> In short:
> - libusb programme opens USB device, either directly, or after asking
> the compositor to pass a fd (and being authorised to do so)
> - programme does its thing
> - fast user switch to another user
> - logind revokes libusb access for the old user
> - new user can use the device without problems

What happens if there's another fast user switch back to the original
user?  Won't the original user then expect the old usbfs fds to continue
working?

Doesn't the whole idea of revoking file access permissions go against
the Unix philosophy of checking access rights only once, when a file is
opened, but not thereafter?  I'm sure I've seen lots of emails by Linus
complaining when people try to use a different approach.

Alan Stern