Re: [RFC v1] USB: core: add USBDEVFS_REVOKE ioctl

On Mon, 2022-04-25 at 16:10 +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 03:23:15PM +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > There is a need for userspace applications to open USB devices
> > directly,
> > for all the USB devices without a kernel-level class driver, and
> > implemented in user-space.
> >
> > End-user access is usually handled by the uaccess tag in systemd,
> > shipping application-specific udev rules that implement this
> > without too
> > much care for sandboxed applications, or overall security, or just
> > sudo.
> >
> > A better approach is what we already have for evdev devices: give
> > the
> > application a file descriptor and revoke it when it may no longer
> > access
> > that device.
>
> Who is going to use this "better" approach?  Is there support in
> libusb
> for it?  Who talks raw usbfs other than libusb these days?

Did you read the follow-up mail with the links to example code for the
hid revoke support?

> > This patch is the USB equivalent to the EVIOCREVOKE ioctl, see
> > commit c7dc65737c9a607d3e6f8478659876074ad129b8 for full details.
>
> c7dc65737c9a ("Input: evdev - add EVIOCREVOKE ioctl") is how I
> thought
> we were supposed to write out commits in changelogs these days :)
>

> > Note that this variant needs to do a few things that the evdev
> > revoke
> > doesn't need to handle, particular:
> > - cancelling pending async transfers
> > - making sure to release claimed interfaces on revoke so they can
> > be
> >   opened by another process/user, as USB interfaces require being
> >   exclusively claimed to be used.
>
> I love the idea of a real revoke() someday, but can't you just do the
> "unbind/bind" hack instead if you really want to do this?  Who wants
> pass usbfs file descriptors around these days?

Again, please read the follow-up mail where I talk of the BPF support
patch that would allow revoking USB fds without relying on a service in
the middle to access devices (although that's eventually going to be
the way to do things to allow elevating access to devices).

Cheers