Re: Wake from Thunderbolt dock doesn't work

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 10:38:29PM +0200, Tomasz Moń wrote:
> On Fri, 2022-04-22 at 18:05 +0300, Mika Westerberg wrote:
> > >
> > > Passing "thunderbolt.start_icm=1" in the kernel command line made
> > > things worse. The system does not wake from suspend at all. It does not
> > > wake from USB keyboard connected directly to the host. And it does not
> > > wake after opening the lid nor after pressing power button (Touch ID).
> > >
> > > The only way to get system back running seemed to be pressing and
> > > holding power button long enough until the Apple bootloader starts.
> >
> > OK. The start_icm=1 starts the connection manager firmware which is one
> > thing that Windows relies too. However, all the PM stuff is still not
> > there unfortunately.
>
> Is the connection manager firmware interface (from Linux perspective)
> implementation specific or is it standarized?

Implementation specific. Apple does not use it on macOS at all and this
is the behaviour you get when you boot Linux there too (on bare metal).
However, with boot camp the firmware is started and the whole
environment (PM stuff) is made more standardized so that Windows can run
on it.

> > > I have no idea what boot camp does on the low level, but atleast
> > > Windows can wakeup successfully.
> >
> > please try the same in Linux if that's possible. Running Linux natively
> > will likely have issues because all the non-standard stuff in those
> > systems.
>
> What do you mean by trying the same in Linux? I would like to, but I
> simply don't know how.

I'm suggesting to boot linux on the boot camp too. I have no idea if
that is even posible but if it is then that would be the closest to get
similar behaviour between Windows on Apple and Linux.