USB device disconnects on resume

hi,

I'm seeing resets and re-enumerations on runtime-resume for one device
a lot. It's a modem connected to the USB2642 Microchip (SMSC) USB2 hub,
that's connected to an xhci HC.

A remote wakeup *sometimes* makes the hub say "physically disconnected"
during resume in hub_activate(), and thus sets reset_resume. Then the
device comes up as low-speed device once, which again is not allowed
during normal runtime resume, so would itself trigger a reset.

The Hub and device is permanently connected on the PCB, so the hub is
interpreting it in a wrong way. I found an email that describes what I
see from Sarah Sharp in 2013 here:
https://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=137754385421825&w=2 Where she says:

"Occasionally, the host controller was sending the SoFs too soon on
resume, and the device would interpret it as a low-speed chirp.  The
device would disconnect, and transform from a high speed device to a
low speed device.  I don't think increasing the 10 ms time out will
help at all in this case, but you did ask what USB device disconnect
scenarios I've seen."

I can't find any reference to that bug yet. Has anyone experienced
something (similar) and knows where I can at least try to work around
that?

I don't know Sarahs' current email, could we forward this question to
her?

thank a lot,

                             martin