Re: Is the linux version if the HID driver not able to send data to the device using output data field in a report?

Alan Stern wrote:
On Thu, 10 Sep 2009, Gabriel Rossetti wrote:

Hello everyone,

This is of course completely untrue. If the HID driver were unable to send data to devices, how could it turn the NumLock and CapsLock LEDs in USB keyboards on and off?

From what I read on the
HID spec (http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/HID1_11.pdf) it says that a report can define input and output (section 6.2.2.5, page 29). Is this correct, that the linux HID driver only partially implements the HID spec and that the driver won't let me send arbitrary (non-keyboard led on/off) data to a HID device?

It is true that devices can have both input and output reports. It is not true that the Linux HID driver fails to implement output reports or that it prevents you from sending data to HID devices.

If so, from what I understand, I have two choices :

1) write a kernel driver for my device (which is why I made it to be HID compliant in the first place, to not have to write a driver for linux, mac & windows) 2) use a userland lib like libusb/libhid and have to deal with the kernel's HID driver claiming the device

Are there any other choices? Did I miss something?

You should ask the HID developers rather than the USB developers. See the entries for HID CORE LAYER and USB HID/HIDBP DRIVERS in the kernel source file MAINTAINERS.

Alan Stern

Thank you for those clarifications, I was unaware that this list was not the correct one.

Gabriel