Disabling intel-wmi-thunderbolt on devices without Thunderbolt / detecting if a device has Thunderbolt

Hi All,

While digging through Microsoft Surface Go ACPI tables to fix an unrelated
issue, I noticed that there is an intel-wmi-thunderbolt WMI device in the
ACPI tables and the intel-wmi-thunderbolt driver happily binds to this.
This is likely the result of copy paste programming of the ACPI tables.

This causes a /sys/bus/wmi/devices/.../force_power attribute to be created
and echoing to that executes ACPI code which ends up poking at things it
should not be poking at on the Surface Go.

The problem of having these "nonsense" WMI devices with the
intel-wmi-thunderbolt GUID is likely more wide-spread and ideally the
intel-wmi-thunderbolt would ignore these.

This makes me wonder if there is a way to see if there are any thunderbolt
controllers on the system at all ? (with as goal to make intel-wmi-thunderbolt
not bind if there are none)

Regards,

Hans