Re: issues with FS isochronous device behind HS hub

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 03:02:01PM -0600, Julie Zhu wrote:
> Hello, all,
>
> We found an issue with FS isochronous device that is connected to the
> USB host controller through an HS hub. This is on an embedded PowerPC
> platform using an FPGA-based USB host controller. This issue exists for
> both FS isochronous IN and OUT transfers behind an HS hub.

I bet, this area is quite messy, and lots of known issues still remain.

> The test setup is that the application submits 50 maxp 1 transfers, with
> polling interval 4ms. The periodic frame list has 256 elements. The
> application submits 2 batches of transfers with 50 transfers each. Other
> FS isochronous tests fail too if connected through an HS hub.
>
> Using direct connection, the test passes fine. However, if connected
> through an HS hub, there are less than 100 transfers happen on the bus.
>
> What we found is that when connected through an HS hub, the periodic
> schedule is enabled, and scan_periodic is called constantly. Our trace
> show that the mark of last scanned frame entry, ehci->next_uframe, often
> is the frame entry that software links a new sitd in, and when next
> scan_periodic start, that sitd is considered as out of date and is
> unlinked.
>
> I wonder whether the test setting is correct?

Well, I guess the issue is if you can just drop the hub and use a direct
connection to the root hub?

If not, patches are always gladly accepted.

Also, you don't mention what kernel version you are testing this with...

thanks,

greg k-h