Re: Disconnect race in Gadget core

On 21-05-11 15:15:38, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 10:53:22AM +0800, Peter Chen wrote:
> > Hi Alan,
> >
> > I fixed a similar issue for configfs, see 1a1c851bbd70
> > ("usb: gadget: configfs: fix concurrent issue between composite APIs")
>
> Yes, I see.  That is indeed the very same problem.
>
> > It doesn't prevent disconnect callback, the disconnect callback will check
> > if unbind has called. The same for .setup and .suspend. Did you see
> > issues using configfs or legacy gadget? For legacy gadget, just like you said
> > it is the second disconnect callback is called during the removal process,
> > the first is called at usb_gadget_disconnect. It is not easy to prevent disconnect
> > occurring, we could add some logic at composite_disconnect, and let it quit if it is
> > called the second time.
>
> I haven't seen the race occur in operation.  It was only theoretical; I
> noticed it while thinking about one of the commits that was just merged
> into the -stable kernels.
>
> > It is hard to avoid usb_gadget_driver callback until usb_gadget_udc_stop has called,
> > no matter bad hardware or threaded interrupts, my former solution is avoid
> > dereferenced pointer issue, most of callbacks handling are useless if the gadget has already
> > unbind, the only meaningful callback is disconnect, and we have already called it
> > at usb_gadget_disconnect
>
> Agreed.
>
> I suppose we could do something similar for the composite driver, for
> gadgets that don't use configfs.

Originally, I intended to do at composite.c to cover all gadget drivers, but
I can't find a good way to use usb_composite_dev existing spinlock to do that.
Since most of users already used configfs, I chose to fix it at configfs directly.
If we want to fix it for legacy gadget drivers (drivers at drivers/usb/gadget/legacy/).

For .setup & .suspend, we could delay 10ms after usb_gadget_disconnect, ensure
hardware has triggered related interrupt, and we need to let all UDC drivers to
add udc->gadget->irq, in that case, the pending threaded interrupt will be handled
at synchronize_irq at usb_gadget_remove_driver.
For .disconnect, we could use cdev->config to judge if the first .disconnect
has run.

> But what about legacy gadgets?  Are
> there any still around that don't use either configfs or the composite
> framework?

I only find raw_gadget.c that doesn't use composite framework, and it doesn't implement
many usb_gadget_driver callbacks, eg, .disconnect and .suspend. For .setup, we could
use above solutions for legacy composite driver.

--

Thanks,
Peter Chen