Re: weird USB test

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, cihan öztürk wrote:

> > It is possible for usbmon to lose events.  You can tell if this happens
> > because the Bs file (where B is the bus number) contains a count of
> > lost events.
> >
> > Oddly, this fact doesn't seem to be mentioned explicitly in
> > Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt.
> >
> > Alan Stern
> >

> I am not sure how to obtain Bs file. I tried
> #cat /sys/kernel/debug/usbmon/1u > logs1.txt
> in one shell to sniff 1st bus (which works perfectly) and
> # cat /sys/kernel/debug/usbmon/1s > events1.txt
> in another shell to capture events of 1st bus, but this command
> immediately returned, outputting a file with the text
> "nreaders 0 events 8626 text_lost"
> What am i doing wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong.  That's supposed to happen -- although
there is supposed to be a number following the "text_lost" string.
That number is a running counter of the number of events that were
dropped.

Read the value text_lost value before starting your test and again
after ending the test.  If the value hasn't changed then no events
were lost while the test was running.

Alan Stern