Re: Kernel lockup when unplugging device from hub

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, Matthijs Kooijman wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> > > Another thing I was seeing just now, is XactErrs when nothing is plugged into
> > > the (possibly faulty) hub. Interestingly enough, the retry counts there were
> > > negative, starting with -223. Looking at the code, I'm not so sure if this is
> > > supposed to happen. It seems that the qh->xacterrs variable is somehow large
> > > (255, since the retry count is 32 - xacterrs). This smells like an overflow,
> > > which probably shouldn't happen.
> >
> > It certainly shouldn't.  Can you provide the dmesg log?
>
> I've put up the log from yesterday at
> http://www.stdout.nl/ehci-debug/xacterr-overflow.txt
>
> I don't have the USB hub here right now to do more testing, but perhaps this
> log is enough?

Wow.  The only thing I can think of which might cause this is if you
didn't apply the new patch correctly.  In particular, it looks like you
managed to erase the line saying

	qh->xacterrs = QH_XACTERR_MAX;

from qh_link_async() in ehci-q.c.  It's not _too_ unlikely; that line
immediately follows one of the changes in the patch.

This isn't exactly an overflow.  It's more like qh->xacterrs was left
equal to 0 instead of being initialized to 32.  That line does the
initialization -- hence my suspicion.

Alan Stern