Re: RTL8153 1G USB ethernet kernel hang bug

Am Mittwoch, den 06.01.2021, 17:13 +0000 schrieb David Mytton:
> I'd like to report a bug in the Realtek driver for a RTL8153 10/100/1000
> Ethernet adapter built-in to a USB-C connected Philips 272B7QUPBEB 27" QHD LCD
> Monitor. It is not limited to the monitor as I have seen other similar reports of
> USB Ethernet adapters with the same issue using the same driver.
>
> I have reproduced this on Kernel 5.10.2 and 5.9.11, both Manjaro, but have seen
> reports across multiple distros.
>
> Symptoms:
>
> - After a period of time following a reboot, ethernet connectivity suddenly
>   drops. Wi-Fi might take over, but not reliably.
> - There is a kernel trace in the journalctl output (see below).

The trace indicates that runtime power management is waiting for
something, but not for what.

> - Attempting to do anything related to the network causes a hang e.g. running
>   inxi hangs after CPU output.
> - The only way to recover is to hard reset. reboot command also hangs.

The processes are in state D (uninterruptible wait)

> - Set usbcore.autosuspend=-1 pci_aspm=off kernel params. This has solved the
>   issue for me; the system has been stable with several days of uptime.

That switches off runtime PM.

The unsolved question is what the kernel is waiting for. Or whether we
have a deadlock. Have you tried a kernel with lockdep enabled?
Could you try to get a lock with dynamic debugging enabled for
the module usbcore?

In this case I don't think a usbmon trace is going to help much, as
the kernel is stuck.

	Regards
		Oliver