Re: bipassing usb HID driver with udev rules

Hi,

On Sonntag, 26. Juli 2009 21:37:46 vijay manchala wrote:
> need some understanding regrding usbHID driver
>
> I had  one device called  footpedal usb device,  when I connected that
> device to the HOST machine RHEL , default usbHID driver is detecting my
> footpedal  i,e  usbhid driver.
>
> Actually I dont want usbHID driver to detect foot pedal device,  it would
> have been nice if there was just a nice simple way of stopping the kernel
> usbHID driver from getting in the way, I want this pedal detected by my own
> modified mouse driver.

This article explains how to unbind a driver from a device :
http://lwn.net/Articles/143397/

Based on this information I was able to write an udev rule for a device that
was originally claimed by the hid-driver that unbinds the driver so the device
could  be used from libusb.

Here is my udev-rule that unbinds the
hid-driver when it matches the (my) vendor, product and interface1 ( $id:1.1).
If you device has more than one interface, I guess you have to create a rule
for each of your interfaces.

ATTRS{idVendor}=="07c0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1114",
PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'echo -n $id:1.1 >/sys/bus/usb/drivers/usbhid/unbind'"