Re: Question on clear_tt_buffer for not TDI but with built-in TT

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009, Julie Zhu wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a question about the interface for clear_tt_buffer that has been
> added into 2.6.31-rc3. We are working with an EHCI host controller that
> has a transaction translator built-in. Therefore, it is naturally TDI
> (by ehci_is_TDI() check for has_tt). In the handling of clear_tt_buffer,
> if it is TDI, then clear_tt_buffer control message is not sent out.
> However, we do not have the way that is commented in ehci-q.c:
>
> /* REVISIT ARC-derived cores don't clear the root
>  * hub TT buffer in this way...
>  */
>
> We actually need the clear_tt_buffer control message sent to the
> built-in transaction translator. What should we do?

This is an important issue.  It turns out that some TDI-type designs
require the built-in TT to be notified when the buffer has to be
cleared and some don't, or at least, they don't provide any way to send
the notification -- I don't understand why not.  I don't know what the
best approach will be.

> I believe the clear_tt_buffer control message is to notify the
> transaction translator about software-side cancellation/failure? I know
> we can handle hardware-side failures just fine without the need of
> clear_tt_buffer control message.

Yes, that is correct.

Alan Stern