Re: USB warning on cdc-acm device close

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009, Manuel Lauss wrote:

> > This clearly is not working right, but I can't tell exactly what's
> > wrong.  Can you repeat the test, this time acquiring a usbmon trace
> > starting before the test and ending after the rmmod?  You'll have to
> > use usbmon's 0u file, so try to minimize any other USB activity going
> > on at the same time.
>
> I can't reproduce it if I do a trace after ehci-hcd has been inserted; i.e. the
> busy dma-pool only happens if I don't capture any usbmon output after
> insertion and before removal of ehci-hcd.

So whatever it is, it must be timing-related.

> I uploaded a trace here [1], it starts with loading of ehci-hcd, then ~5 seconds
> pause, read some data from ACM device, again some pause then unload
> of ehci-hcd.

Still not clear, but I'm getting some ideas.  Let's try another
approach.  For this to work you'll have to enable CONFIG_USB_DEBUG as
well as CONFIG_DEBUG_FS.

Run your test again, without usbmon.  But before removing ehci-hcd,
mount a debugfs filesystem and look in the usb/ehci/au1xxx-ehci.0
directory.  There should be a bunch of files with names like
"registers", "async", and "periodic"; let's see what they contain.

> > As for why the device doesn't work when you reload ehci-hcd, I have no
> > idea.  That's a separate matter and we can deal with it later.  Maybe
> > fixing the first problem will also fix the second.
>
> doing insmod ehci-hcd ; rmmod ehci-hcd; insmod ehci-hcd is enough
> to render the device silent; however rmmod cdc-acm ; modprobe cdc-acm
> is fine.  Still, opening the device generates hcd interrupts.

Maybe comparing usbmon traces of the first and second insmods will show
something.

Alan Stern