Re: USB warning on cdc-acm device close

Hi Alan,

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Alan Stern<stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jul 2009, Manuel Lauss wrote:
>
>> > The patch below will certainly remove the warning; the question is
>> > whether ehci-hcd will continue to work correctly.  Some testing would
>> > be appreciated.  In particular, try to set up the conditions that would
>> > cause the warning, and afterward do "rmmod ehci-hcd".  That should
>> > cause any remaining errors to surface.
>>
>> This is what I get.  Additionally, after re-inserting ehci-hcd I get no more
>> devices (mouse, usb storage) continue to work.
>>
>> # rmmod ehci_hcd
>> au1xxx-ehci au1xxx-ehci.0: remove, state 1
>> usb usb2: USB disconnect, address 1
>> usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 2
>> usb 2-1.2: USB disconnect, address 3
>> au1xxx-ehci au1xxx-ehci.0: dma_pool_destroy ehci_qtd, 8714f000 busy
>> au1xxx-ehci au1xxx-ehci.0: dma_pool_destroy ehci_qh, 871b9000 busy
>> au1xxx-ehci au1xxx-ehci.0: USB bus 2 deregistered
>
> This clearly is not working right, but I can't tell exactly what's
> wrong.  Can you repeat the test, this time acquiring a usbmon trace
> starting before the test and ending after the rmmod?  You'll have to
> use usbmon's 0u file, so try to minimize any other USB activity going
> on at the same time.

I can't reproduce it if I do a trace after ehci-hcd has been inserted; i.e. the
busy dma-pool only happens if I don't capture any usbmon output after
insertion and before removal of ehci-hcd.

I uploaded a trace here [1], it starts with loading of ehci-hcd, then ~5 seconds
pause, read some data from ACM device, again some pause then unload
of ehci-hcd.

> As for why the device doesn't work when you reload ehci-hcd, I have no
> idea.  That's a separate matter and we can deal with it later.  Maybe
> fixing the first problem will also fix the second.

doing insmod ehci-hcd ; rmmod ehci-hcd; insmod ehci-hcd is enough
to render the device silent; however rmmod cdc-acm ; modprobe cdc-acm
is fine.  Still, opening the device generates hcd interrupts.

[1] http://mlau.at/usbmon-acm3

Thanks!
     Manuel Lauss