Re: testing of a USB 2 interface

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009, Dean Warren wrote:

> For an embedded system what is the best way to verify a USB 2 compliant Host?

You mean that the host is part of the embedded system, right?  Or do
you mean that you want to use the embedded system to verify that some
other host is USB-2.0 compliant?

> e.g.
>
> I have a target produced by a third party and I need to sign off the target

What is a "target"?  Is the target the embedded system?  Is the USB
host part of the target?

> design. However, I am having troubles with the USB 2 Host Controller driver and
> a certain USB 2 device(s).
>
> The third party have tested the USB 2 Host Controller with a particular device
> and claim because it is an embedded Linux system it is impossible/unreasonable
> to test the USB 2 interface to work with all devices (this seems reasonable to
> me).
>
> However, I feel that there should be a method to test the USB 2 Host (hardware
> and software drivers) to the USB 2 specification. Thus perhaps purchase (if
> available) a USB 2 device with loopback that communicates through the drivers
> to the loopback device driver and can exercise all transfer modes (and other
> stuff?) of the USB 2 interface. Does this sound reasonable? If so what options
> are available?

See http://www.linux-usb.org/gadget/ for some ideas.

Alan Stern